Thursday, January 27, 2011

Stuffed Bell Peppers

8 red, yellow, or orange peppers (or a mix of all colors)
2 Tbs olive oil
1 med onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1Tbs cumin
16 oz fresh Italian turkey sausage
1 (16oz) jar of salsa
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1 cup cooked brown rice
2 avocados peeled and sliced
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup fresh cilantro-chopped

Preheat 375* cut peppers in half lengthwise. Leave stems. Remove insides. Put pepper in a 13x9 baking pan. Drizzle peppers with 1 tbs of olive oil. cover and bake for 15 to 20 min. until start to soften.

Heat tbs oil in skillet, add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, chili, and cumin. cook 3 min. Add sausage. Cook until browned then add salsa and spinach and cook 5 min. Remove from heat. add cooked brown rice.

Fill peppers. cover with foil and bake 20-25 min. Remove foil, sprinkle with cheese. bake uncovered 7-10 min. Top with yogurt, avocado slices and sprinkle with cilantro.

Nutritional Information
serves 8
cal: 407.87
carbs: 48.125
fat: 15.875
Protein: 16

I tried this last night and it was pretty good. The recipe actually asks for basil not cilantro. I tried it with the basil and it was good but I LOVE cilantro and I think cilantro would make it even better. I also cut the tops off of the peppers and kept them whole. I didn't think they would all fit in my pan if I cut them all in half. Now that i have made it once I think I could have squeezed them all in. I think I will eat half the portion for a meal to cut back on calories per meal. This makes a lot so be ready for leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment